Thursday, March 31, 2011

Shocking Discovery

I think my daughter is "addicted" to milk. I don't mind if it's Raina because she is only 7 months old and is fully on breast milk, but it's Ayra.

At 2 years old, milk is still Ayra's number one source of food (if that counts as food). Can you believe everyday she drinks 7oz of milk every 2-3 hours?! Macam baby pulak.

Oh by the way, if she wants milk, she'll say "Nak shi-shi" (shi-shi = susu).



"Nak shi-shi!!"


Ayra only eats a minuscule amount of food or sometimes she refuses to eat anything and only wants milk. Kalau tak bagi susu, mengamuk! I was kinda curious of how her milk tastes like yang membuatkan dia sampai tak nak makan semua benda so I tasted it. OMG have you ever tasted your kid's milk? I was surprised it was sweet! I've always thought kid's milk powder rasa macam yucky but no, it tastes just like adult's milk powder yang dah dicampur gula.


It never occurred to me to check how much added sugars are in her milk until I got this sugar calculator, which can be used to check the level of added sugars in your kid's growing up milk powder based on the amount of carbohydrate per serving.



As I've mentioned in my previous post, the common names for added sugars are corn syrup solid, sucrose and glucose syrup solid. But most of the time, they don't list it as any of those in the ingredient so look for carbohydrate instead. The amount of carbohydrate per serving in the milk powder that Ayra is currently drinking is 23.6 grams...




So I pointed the arrow at number 23 on the sugar calculator and OH. MY. GOD.



There's approximately 7-10 teaspoons of added sugar in her milk - IN A SINGLE SERVING!!! This is shocking news! I almost had a heart attack when I saw the number. I seriously don't know what to think. Is that how much sugar I've been feeding my child all this while?? Isn't that like the same amount of sugar in a can of Coke or something?


Can't believe there's about 7-10 teaspoons of added sugar in that much of milk!


I really need to do something. Do you mommies know any growing up milk with less sugar or better yet, no added sugar? Seriously this is not funny. You should really check the amount of added sugars in your kid's growing up milk powder too using that sugar calculator. Or you can just check it at www.semakgula.com.my. Please tell anyone you know with children about this. Excessive sugar intake at such a young age can lead to a lot of health problems!

Labels: ,

She slipped off her pink stilettos at 7:30 PM |





l@dyIZ704