Friday, April 02, 2010

Muffin Mishap



Our Arabian neighbor gave us some Yemeni walnuts, cashews and raisins before they move out so I thought of giving Rachael Ray's Banana-Walnut Muffin a try.


The measurements for the ingredients are in cups; I don't have measuring cups so I ended up converting them to grams. It was quite a hassle and confusing as different websites show different info, and having an active toddler didn't make it any easier too as I have to keep an eye on her as well.


But that wasn't just it.


I wasn't sure what whole milk yogurt is so I substituted it with milk (I ran out of plain yogurt). The batter was too runny which is probably because of the wrong cup to ml conversion. Or maybe I shouldn't use milk at all. And so because it was runny, I added more flour. And some sugar. And some more baking powder. And oats.


My muffins turned out not okay. Well not as bad as my ugly muffins tho. They were still edible but the texture was hard and compact with tunnels and they didn't rise high enough like how muffins should. In fact, they didn't rise at all.


Ahh well. At least I learned something.


I found out that when making muffins, the batter should not be over mixed as it will overdevelop the gluten in the flour, causing the muffins to be hard and compact-textured. 10-15 strokes are enough.


And of course the right measurement of ingredients is essential.


KitchenAid measuring cups & spoon set



Must. Get. Those.

Labels:

She slipped off her pink stilettos at 12:00 PM |





l@dyIZ704