Monday, February 28, 2011

Raina's First Food

Raina just turned 6 months last week and Alhamdulillah, I managed to breastfeed her exclusively.


She just started her very first food too! I was so excited to make my own baby food. I made a little research online and found out that a baby's first food doesn't have to be commercial infant rice cereals. Avocado, sweet potato and banana make great first foods for babies so I decided to start with...


Avocado!


Avocado has a creamy texture and it's loaded with essential fats and nutrients that are suitable for growing babies. Making pureed avocado is easy-peasy (well, making baby foods are all so easy!). You don't have to cook the avocado (Tip: a ripe avocado has greenish black skin and feels somewhat soft and squishy).


Just spoon out the "isi", blend/puree it with breast milk and it's done!


I made it really thin since it was her first time eating food.


I wasn't expecting Raina to love pureed avocado right away and to finish eating the whole bowl. I was mentally and emotionally ready for that because I have experienced it before (it can be very very frustrating when your child refuse to eat your homemade food ok!).


But guess what?
She LOVES it (even tho it tasted horrible)!



Seronok kasi baby makan. Lagi seronok kalau baby suka dan habis makan, kan?!


Ooo yum yum!


Watch this video of Raina having her very first meal. Kalau lambat suap, dia masuk jari dalam mulut! Hehe.





I gave her pureed avocado with breast milk for 3 days (I know it should be a 4-day wait rule but I ran out of avocado ;p).


The next day, I gave her pureed banana with breast milk. She didn't like it! 2 suap lepas tu tak nak dah. I was quite surprised because banana is sweeter and babies usually prefer sweeter food, no? So I stopped. I only gave her pureed banana with breast milk for a day.





The following day, I gave her sweet potato with breast milk. It has been 3 days now and she's okay with it. I'm thinking of giving her brown rice cereal with pears tomorrow.


By the way, if you're looking for baby food recipes, go to wholesomebabyfood.com. They have loads of recipe ideas for babies!

Labels:

She slipped off her pink stilettos at 1:00 AM |





l@dyIZ704