Thursday, December 09, 2010

Security Blanket

My husband bought this book a few months after we got married and paksa me to read it.



It's a pretty good book (although I haven't finished reading it yet). This book tells how husband and wife should work together as a team to manage their money based on 9 steps, and one of the steps, which is Step 6 is "Build Your Security Blanket".


Uh-huh, insurance!


Some people take insurance for granted and think it's just an unnecessary expense. Well I was one of that people. It never occurred to me just how important it is to have insurance until I read that book. Having an insurance policy is very crucial because nobody knows when they will fall sick.


I remembered a story by my mom about how her classmate during her uni years died because of a pimple. This is a true story, I'm not making it up! That classmate of hers was a guy and mom said he had a lot of pimples on his face but they seemed normal until one day when he got one huge pimple on his forehead, near his eye. Semua orang tegur dia about his huge pimple and that night he poked his pimple and well.... he died. I can't remember the exact detail of the story but he died because bacteria/germs from the pimple that was infected masuk dalam otak dia or something like that (and because of that, my mom always tell me not to poke pimples yang kat area mata ke atas sebab bahaya, dekat dengan otak). Shocking right?? I mean, it was just a pimple! Nauzubillah. Of course the chances of this are very little, but it just shows that life is unpredictable. Anything can happen.


"You and your partner may be perfectly healthy now, but who knows what the future will bring? Tomorrow, you could find a lump on your chest or a spot on your back. Why sacrifice your freedom to see the doctor you want just to save $20 a month? It's simply not worth it. Eat out one less time a month or cancel those premium channels on your TV cable, and you've covered the cost of going with the most expensive health-care option that has the most flexibility." - excerpt from Smart Couples Finish Rich.



My husband and I realized that it's important for our children to have insurance as well. There's no such thing as too young to have insurance! In fact the earlier you sign up for insurance the better.




We signed up for PRUmy child for both our kids when I was pregnant with Raina. And I'm glad we made that choice because it gives us a peace of mind as it secures our children's future with complete protection as well as education plans.





Our health is our most valuable asset and we never know what would happen in the future, so it's only wise to have it insured. It's always better to prepare yourself for the uncertainty, no? Ignorance is not always bliss!

Labels: ,

She slipped off her pink stilettos at 10:00 AM |





l@dyIZ704