Sunday, December 12, 2010

The "No Rice" Diet Trial

My husband was determined to start a "no rice" diet after reading the Paleo Diet book and so he requested me to cook meals as suggested in the book. I was more than happy to do so! Well, I don't know about you but I find cooking rice and lauk-pauk is so much of a hassle; that explains why I haven't been cooking rice (selalu tapau saja).


The Paleo Diet consist of mainly meat, fish, veggies, fruits, nuts and eggs. We listed down all the ingredients from the book, went grocery shopping and bought lots of stuff! Chicken breasts, salmon, halibut and dory fillets, ground beef, sirloin steaks, veggies, nuts, some herbs and spices and a few organic stuff. It was the best grocery shopping ever!


These are some of the meals we had for the past couple of weeks (I rotate it of course, with slight modifications).


Grilled salmon with chopped pecans, served with
roasted green beans and carrots.



Pan-seared sirloin steak with steamed broccoli and carrots.



Marinara pasta
(the book actually says to use Kelp noodles, which is made of sea vegetable but we couldn't find it so I used what's available in the kitchen - the tri-color pasta. It's still made of veggies right?)



Baked dory with sauteed baby spinach.



Milk-poached halibut with cauliflower and roasted green beans.



Baked chicken with grape tomatoes and steamed broccoli and cauliflower.
(this is my hubby's favorite!)



Homemade beef patty with spinach, tomatoes and capsicum omelette and salads
(another hubby's favorite)


The meals were seriously so easy to prepare and SO delicious - even for amateur cook like me! Just season the fish/meat with salt, pepper and some herbs/spices, pop them in the oven and while waiting for them to cook, I steamed the veggies. The whole process took only 30 minutes! Sometimes lesser, especially for chicken because I've prepared it the night before (marinate it) so the next day I just need to take it out from the refrigerator and bake it. I usually start cooking at 12-ish noon and everything is prepared by the time my husband gets home for lunch.


We don't completely cut off rice in our diet tho - we make exceptions for weddings and lunch/dinner at my parents' (my mom cooks the best lauk kampung ever, it's hard to resist). This is after all, just a trial! ;)

Labels:

She slipped off her pink stilettos at 10:00 AM |





l@dyIZ704