Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Babywearing

I knew having a baby pouch/sling would be useful. Especially for mommies who have to take care of the baby and the house when no one is around to help. It makes me feel like my baby is being protected and secured. Most importantly, I have my both hands free - I could look after my baby by wearing her (she wants to be held, like all the time) while doing the laundry or washing the dishes or making my breakfast.




But I realized one thing. I have to constantly move around when I'm wearing her. If I sit or stand still, she would huffed and puffed and tried to wriggle her way out like she's being forcefully wrapped. Unless, of course, if she is sleeping...



My sleeping cutie smiles for the camera :)



It takes a lot of practices for me to get use to wearing my baby in the pouch. I still haven't mastered the ways to take her out of that pouch without needing the bed, which explains why I seldom wear her outside. I would leave that to my husband, who would wear her in the baby carrier (when she refuses to sit in the stroller)...




I find myself smiling whenever I see (young) fathers carrying their babies like that. Cute.



Some benefits of babywearing:

  • Babywearing enables the mother to be acutely aware of her baby's cues and signals and heightens her perception of her child's needs.
  • Babywearing reduces crying and fussiness by up to 51%, with parents feeling more competent and nurturing toward their children.
  • Being in close physical contact with a parent provides a baby with a rich learning environment where all of their most important needs can be met - food, warmth, love and touch
  • Babies who are carried learn more, stimulating brain development and expanding their future learning potential.
  • Babywearing increases cardiac output, improves circulation, promotes respiration and aids in digestion.
  • Babywearing provides the exact level and kind of stimulation an infant requires, energizing their nervous system and creating a quiet, calm alertness in the infant.
  • Babywearing decreases the levels of stress hormones circulating in a baby's blood stream, resulting in a more relaxed, happy baby
  • Frequently carried babies fall asleep quickly and will usually sleep deeper and for longer periods of time in the comfort of their sling.
  • Babywearing develops the muscles needed for the infant to sit, stand and walk.
  • Babywearing enhances motor skills by stimulating the baby's vestibular system (balance organs) by exposing the baby to a variety of sights, sounds and motion,.
  • Babies worn in slings feel safe and secure which helps to foster a solid sense of self.
  • Babywearing offers easy access to the infant's food source - mothers' breast milk, without having to stop or sit down.
(Source)

Labels:

She slipped off her pink stilettos at 12:30 AM |





l@dyIZ704