Thursday, July 31, 2008

Healthy Snack/Meal

One of my favorite snacks during pregnancy, besides this yummy wholegrain cereal, is sandwiches. Egg, chicken, tuna - anything! I eat sandwiches almost everyday, either for lunch or in between lunch and dinner. It's so easy to make, and the best part is, it's healthy!


I'm gonna share with you one of my favorite sandwich recipes:


Poached Egg Sandwich

The ingredients:


2 slices of bread, toasted (I prefer wholemeal bread but I'm using white bread bcoz that's the only bread left)
1 egg
1/2 cup Vinegar
1 cup water
Salad - I use lettuce, that purple-colored veggie which I'm not sure what it's called, carrots, red capsicum, celery, cherry tomatoes and grapes (all chopped/thinly sliced)
Chili sauce
Mustard (it's a healthier alternative to mayonnaise bcoz it's lower in fat and calories)
Thousand Island dressing
Margarine


First, poach the egg. It's easy, really. Crack the egg and put it in a small bowl (make sure you don't break the yolk). Place the water and vinegar in a pan, and bring it to a boil. Once it's boiled, turn down the heat and pour the egg. The vinegar allows the egg white to congeal easily. Cook for about 3 minutes. Once it's cooked, lift the egg using a slotted spoon and put it aside.




Spread some margarine on one side of each bread. Layer the bread with salad, mustard, chili sauce, thousand island dressing and the poached egg the way you like it. I like mine to be salad, egg, salad. Here's how it looks like before placing the other slice of bread on top...


Yum!



Here's another sandwich I made for lunch the other day using avocado, chicken pistachio which I got from Mercato, cheese and boiled egg. I call it Double Decker Chicken Pistachio with Avocado Sandwich (it's a mouthful, I know).




I may be one of the minorities, but I loveeee avocados!

Labels:

She slipped off her pink stilettos at 6:21 PM |





l@dyIZ704