Saturday, July 07, 2007

Baked Fish with Honey, Mustard, Herbs and err.. dead bugs

Yeah, dead bugs!


I wanted to make baked fish fillet with side dishes for dinner, so I went fish-shopping and chose a fish called "Sebelah". I don't have the slightest idea what Ikan Sebelah is, but that's the cheapest I could find at Jusco Supermarket and it looks perfect for oven-baking. Plus, it's my first time so I don't wanna risk a salmon or a cod!


Back at home, I gathered the necessary herbs and spices that I could find to marinate the fish, which is pretty much everything! Mom has lots of cooking stuff in her kitchens so it's really hard to decide what not to put in bcoz they all look essential to me (just so u know, there are 3 kitchens in my house - dry, wet, super wet. You can imagine finding all sorts of herbs and spices and sauces in there). I was so excited mixing in the herbs and spices for the marinade that I didn't realize that one of the ingredients I used (ground ginger) has dead bugs. Lots of them! They looked like sesame seed.. but after smothering the fish with the marinade baru terperasan. And it took me a whole day to decide what to do with the fish (in other words, I let the fish to marinate with the dead bugs for one day).


After discussing the matter with my sis and MZ, we all came up with our own solutions:


MZ: Throw away the fish. Beli ikan baru...
Sis: What the heck..masak jer. Bacteria sumer nanti mati bila dah masak.
Me: Wash away the marinade, and start over.


(obviously my solution is the best, doncha think? ;p)


So I made a new marinade for the fish, which consists of black pepper sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, honey, mustard, rosemary, mint, oregano, black pepper, and salt.


And here it is!


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


My very first baked fish fillet with side dishes of baked potato with cheese and black pepper toppings, baked tomato, and fresh broccoli and carrots - served with Pink Cocktail drink.


I'm so proud of myself, despite the dead-bug thingy! ;p

Labels:

She slipped off her pink stilettos at 3:01 AM |





l@dyIZ704